Using Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, you will need to write an essay of at least 950 words answering the following questions using specific evidence from the book to support your answers fully.
1) How does Douglass describe the institution of slavery? What sorts of conditions did he recount that the slaves faced? What type of food and clothing did he say that they received? Why does Douglass think that northerners believe that slaves were happy? Why does he say that this belief is false?
2) How does Douglass describe the differences between city slaves versus slaves who worked on farms/ plantations? Which one did he believe had an easier time?
3) How did Douglass learning how to read and write change his perspective about his life and the larger institution of slavery? How was he able to acquire these skills during a time when teaching a slave to read or write was illegal?
4) How does Douglass describe Mr. Covey? What was Covey known for doing? How were Covey’s interactions with Douglass different than what either man was used to? How does this interaction change Douglass’ life?
5) How does Douglass regard the role of religion in regards to slavery? How did consider religious slaveholders to act? How does this shape his views on religion more broadly?
6) How does Douglass describe his experiences with his various masters? Why does he believe that slavery changes masters as well as slaves?
7) How was Douglass able to acquire his freedom? How did he find conditions living as a free black man in America?
All of the information for the essays can be found in Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass so the use of outside sources is not necessary. If you want to use outside sources, you must tell me which sources you are getting your information from and provide citations and a bibliography. Failure to do so will be considered cheating and dealt with under HCC’s Academic Dishonesty Policy. Your footnotes and bibliography will not count towards your word count for the assignment