Medical Web Site Critique: The student is required to select a web site within a health care related topic (area of interest to the student) and write a critique of the site. Submit 2-3 pages, APA format. The student must address the following topics:
What is the purpose of the site?
The site’s purpose is related to who runs and pays for it. The About This Site page should include a clear statement of purpose.
Ease of Navigation
- Is the site easy to navigate?
- It is easy to find what you want?
- Does the site take a long time to download?
- Are images used to illustrate points, or merely as decoration?
- Is the information based on sound medical research? Can the information on the web page be verified by another source?
- Are there grammatical and spelling errors?
- Are there footnotes, bibliographies, or references so that you can verify the information? Are these reliable?
- Has the information on the site been through any editing or peer reviewing process?
- Are there references, or links to research? Is there a bibliography? Are the sources cited reliable?
- Are there spelling or grammatical errors?
- Is the information factual or opinion?
- Who published the page, who is responsible for writing the material? What are the person’s credentials? What do you know about them? Are they qualified in the subject area?
- Is the person backed by a known organization?
- Can you easily find contact information on the web page? Check the about us link, usually found at the beginning or the end of a webpage. What does the About Us section tell you about the purpose of the organization? Can you find a physical location for the organization? Or is the only way to contact the organization through a web form?
- What is the domain name?
- Does the site give contact details and links to more information about who has provided the site?
- Is the information showing just one point of view?
- What kind of institution sponsored the webpage? A pharmaceutical company? A non-profit organization?
- Who is the intended audience (Patients, Providers, Students, Others)?
- Is this an appropriate site to use in academic work or medical work?
Currency/Timeliness of Updates
- When was the information written? Is there a date when the site was last updated? How frequently is the site updated? If there are references to research, how recent are they?
- Do the links work?
How does the site manage interactions with users?
- Is there a way to contact the owner if you run a problem or have questions or feedback?